Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Maps of London

I've recently started a historical which takes place in mid-18th century London, so I should be posting a few links as I go along in my research.

My heroine recently had to travel from her semi-fashionable neighborhood to Seven Dials and from Seven Dials to Fleet Street. My hero had to go from Fleet Street to the riverfront.

I like to "see" where my characters are going on a map. Luckily, there are several maps online. Here are a couple that I've used for this WIP:

LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK BY JOHN ROCQUE 1746. This is a wonderfully detailed map, maybe a little too detailed. If you know the street you are looking for, this will take you right to it. However, it is a little tougher to trace your steps.

Greenwood's Map of London 1827 is a little later than the period, but it is easier to use and most of the main streets hadn't changed. I had an easier time tracing my characters' routes.

3 Comments:

Blogger ~~Olivia said...

Try this map or the site

http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/maps.htm

6:29 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Oooh, Rene - thanks for the link! And I LOVE the background. Where did you get it?

10:46 AM  
Blogger Rene said...

Oddly enough, I found it on some guy's geneology page. He had a bunch of images for fleur de lis, so I thought it approporiate and easy on the eyes.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home