Tuesday, July 26, 2005

And the Bride Wore...hmmmm

So I am near to the portion of my story where the hero and heroine are going to get married. I've been researching the topic online and boy, there are a lot of conflicting statements. One thing to avoid, I found, are wedding sites. I'm not sure where they get their info, but they all seem to conflict with each other. But here are a couple I found pretty handy for an English wedding.

Marriage in the 18th Century talks a bit about the concept of marriage in the era. Later on through the pages it does get into specifics. The second site, The English Bride is a breezy, easily-read site that is fun and informative.

The one thing I cannot find is the place of the wedding ring. They were considered essential in Church of England marriage, but there seems to be some indecision if they were part of the ceremony or given sometime afterward. A little thing, really, but I wish I had a concrete answer. If anyone has a source, let me know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Fascinating stuff. I love to see how things change over the years.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

I love the English Bride site! Very fun.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Rene said...

On the "English Bride" site, if you go to the home page for the site, it has a great section about eating and dining for the upper classes.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

It's in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, assuming your couple are marrying in church:
http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662

In fact, it had clearly been established by the middle of the 16th century. 1559 BCP: http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/1559/Marriage_1559.htm

6:59 PM  
Blogger Rene said...

Thanks, Sharon. The Book of Common Prayer had everything spelled out perfectly and just in the nick of time. Thanks alot, I appreciate it.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home